Stormsire's Cursebreakers - Warhammer Underworlds - Nightvault base set

Stormsire's Cursebreakers

Warhammer Underworlds - Nightvault base set

Choosing a Stormhost

Averon Stormsire leads this band of lightning-wielding Stormcast Eternal Evocators. They represent the second time I have painted Stormcast Eternals and I wanted to try out a new Stormhost. After researching several documents and websites, I chose the Celestial Vindicators. They are the darkest/most color heavy chapter, I mean Host i liked the look of. I love the gold and silver sigmarite armor - and was a little concerned about my ability to pull of teal armor. I think it came out ok, and these warriors have so much going on with their staffs and other little details that create a whole picture.











Red 

I elected to paint the "red" areas as red leather, using Rhinox Hide and Doombull Brown and Tuskgor Fur to create a red that made sense to me, and didn't scream to be the center of attention on the figures.  I can't wait to get them to the table! But first I have to finish their opponents, the Briar Queen and her chainrasps.

Bases

A "Mossy" bases theme was used for the bases under these three warriors, and adapted the same techniques for the nighthaunts - though they don't have as much area for the technique to take hold (Mossy bases, by RobPaintsModels). I thought about going back and repainting the rim of the bases a deep grey or brown to create less of a stark contrast that draws the eye away from the model. I've not done that yet.

This mini was submitted to the painting contest for Battlezone Ursa 2019 in the "Unit" category, receiving a Bronze. Please leave you feedback or comments below!

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Hey, sorry took so long for me to reply! I started out with Stegadon Scale Green, a Citadel Base color. I then washed that with a mix of Nuln oil and Coelia Greenshade.
      Next I hit the big panels again with a thin coat of Stegadon Scale Green, then started to highlight with Sotek Green, then Temple Guard Blue. On the edges I mixed the TG Blue with some Cold White from Vallejo Model Color.

      Except for the final highlights, a pretty standard Citadel 'layering' set of paints. You can find those suggested combinations on the Citadel Painting App. I myself still use it a decent amount even though I am switching over to Vallejo paints because I prefer bottles.

      Delete

Post a Comment