Mounting and Priming

I thought I'd show my current method for mounting and priming.

I use a hot glue gun (like the $2 variety from Michaels or other crafts departments) to stick a mini to a nail. Usually this is a mini already on a base, or the base itself. But if not, I have stuck parts directly to the nail.

Micro Art Studio Bases 
Micro Art Studio Tech bases for use with Imperial Assault



Warhammer Quest Silver Tower heroes

Sigmar Knight-Questor

Darkoath Chieftan


Then I stick the nail in some scrap foam and prime. Over the years, I have primed in white, grey, black, and various colors from the Army Painter and Citadel ranges of colored primers. I find that I prefer black and white "zenethal" highlighting these days. This refers to a highlight representing a light-source coming from the zenith above the mini.

That means I prime the model black, then come back and shoot white primer down at the minis from above, in a halo. This results in white upper portions of the mini and grey mid-range, with dark recesses. This creates a "pre-shade" to the base coat, and with today's thin primers like P3 or even Corax White, I haven't had any problems with this "washing out" or filling in details. (Side note - can anyone find P3 primer anymore?)

I used a different white for these photos, and it produced too much "splatter"... I think it may go on too thickly, so I will be going back to P3 or Citadel Corax.

This might be harder with sub-assemblies. Just be sure to apply the white from the same direction as the zenith when the part will be attached. For more delicate parts, maybe blue-tack is in order, but I've only needed to do this once so far and it is messy to prime and paint, then glue and assemble. I will only do this for large obvious obstructions in the future, like shields or arms and weapons that cross in front of the chest.

As you can see, if all you wanted to do was assemble, prime, and go play (which is blasphemy -- hehe) this technique for spray priming  reveals detail before you've even laid on one brush load of colored paint.

Primer options:
Rust-Oleum Automotive 2-in-1 Filler & Sandable Primer
Rust-Oleum 2x Ultra Cover Flat Gray Primer
Tamiya Surface Primer (Light Gray)
AK-Interactive Fine Primer Black Spray
Krylon ColorMaster Ultra Flat Primer
The Army Painter Color Primer (Matt Black)
Testors Spray Enamel Paint Primer

Brush options:
Windsor Newton Cotman brushes
Rosemary & Co. Size 2 series 33 brush
Grumbacher Size 3

New bases for sci-fi / Warhammer40k Black Fortress


Side note - I'm inspired by this tweet to try something new for Black Fortress:



Thanks for reading, until next time, keep of painting! And let me know your thoughts on priming and other painting prep - or if you just prime and play.

Comments