The start of a Warhammer Quest - (Silver Tower - assembly and Grotlings) - Age of Sigmar

Grotlings

Painting these Grotlings was the first thing I tackled on the WQ Silver Tower set...

Assembly 

That is of course, after I had assembled the entire set. Assembly took my about a month or two - probably 4-5 sessions of about an hour or two each, which watching TV or something.

I'd never assembled a large number of minis at one time since DreadBall from Mantic, and never from Games Workshop. I have to say the GW sculpts come together very well. I did make a couple of small errors, mostly with flash removal or final fitting of pieces. If you are not accustomed to assembling 50+ minis for a board game, like me, I caution patience... give yourself plenty of time for the project and don't rush or assemble in poor light.

Grotlings - Warhammer Quest Silver Tower set

Ok - back to painting the Grotlings! I used the book as a guide and painted them without any other inspiration. I an fine with the results, but honestly a weakness in my painting skills can be picking out good colors to contrast and pop. I tend to be too cautious and pick colors that are too close to one another, resulting in a model that blends together too much and is too dark. No change here - these were my least favorite of the set.

I did use darker greens (starting with Caliban Green) on the claws, blended to black, and a standard "orc/goblin" skin tone for the rest of the skin. The spider webs are Celestra Grey highlighted with Uthuan Grey.





My next set of minis to tackle was going to be the Kairic Acolytes, and so I looked to the inter-webs for inspiration, landing on the MengelMiniatures.com tutorial.

Comments